'login' => 'root',
	'password' => '',
	'database' => 'master',
	'prefix' => '',
	'encoding' => 'utf8',
);

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello, I have a question if your still around after updating my server and reinstalling everything now it wont let me login to the website Base any more. I can create an account and when i click the activation link in the email it lets me login but once i log out cant log back in the accounts are created in the database accounts created on the website works in the client but cant log into the website any incite on this.

So I was able to figure out and fix the problem if anyone still wants to use this website base with 2.7 test A or test B use the install.sql I have provided will fix all issues you will have do not use the sql files provided in the website base download it will mess up the database for some reason. https://mega.nz/#!Ug8lkISI!3pA_aASEBhcmwCKbrTvkp_xG7Ofbu8uxMsCREkbQblY

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Here is the what I get when I try to go to the website:

Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Class 'Controller' not found in D:\xampp\htdocs\lib\Cake\Error\ExceptionRenderer.php:174 Stack trace: #0 D:\xampp\htdocs\lib\Cake\Error\ExceptionRenderer.php(92): ExceptionRenderer->_getController(Object(FatalErrorException)) #1 D:\xampp\htdocs\lib\Cake\Error\ErrorHandler.php(126): ExceptionRenderer->__construct(Object(FatalErrorException)) #2 D:\xampp\htdocs\lib\Cake\Error\ErrorHandler.php(284): ErrorHandler::handleException(Object(FatalErrorException)) #3 D:\xampp\htdocs\lib\Cake\Error\ErrorHandler.php(213): ErrorHandler::handleFatalError(64, 'Cannot use 'Obj...', 'D:\\xampp\\htdocs...', 30) #4 D:\xampp\htdocs\lib\Cake\Core\App.php(970): ErrorHandler::handleError(64, 'Cannot use 'Obj...', 'D:\\xampp\\htdocs...', 30, Array) #5 D:\xampp\htdocs\lib\Cake\Core\App.php(943): App::_checkFatalError() #6 [internal function]: App::shutdown() #7 {main} thrown in D:\xampp\htdocs\lib\Cake\Error\ExceptionRenderer.php on line 174

After next release we will remove support for XAMP, WAMP and all of their variations and also Cygwin as they are causing too many troubles to the clients. It will be possible to run Atavism on these systems, but we won't provide support to do so. Instead you will get two virtual machines (centos, ubuntu) which you will be able to deploy on free VirtualBox Oracle software. You won't have experience ports issues and such virtual machine will be setup for Atavism with Atavism in place including database, files and settings, so installation will be really simple.

Regarding your issue, you don't have to use installation PHP files, instead you can just import SQL files directly to your MySQL and follow this few steps.

Import data to your DB engine (MySQL) there are 4 files located in “Server_location_files/sql/”

• admin.sql
  • atavism.sql
  • master.sql
  • world_content.sql

In command line for each file type:

mysql -u <username> -p <”filename.sql”

Yes, of course, I mean there are many installation options which are taking many hours to test and support them all is really time consuming. We would rather spend that manpower on new features and improvements.

To resume we will support installation on any Linux distribution, but manuals will be for Ubuntu and CentOS and for less advanced users we will provide virtual machines for those systems, which will have all required software installed, and you will just follow installation process normally as you would on already prepared Linux.

Interesting idea Killersan. That would definitely take the difficulty out for the main audience. Are you sure that you don't want to just encourage people to pick up a cloud subscription in such a case though? If you're going to make it so easy, it makes more sense to have that as a cloud option. I just don't want to lose the ability to completely manage a system on my own for instance, that was the whole idea behind getting an On Premises license. I have my own forest of server machines, and I'd rather not have to wipe the machine each time there was an update.

If it's an option, well then by all means I won't stand in the way, but a full blown reset each time really would be a dampener.

Honestly, I've been with it a while, and in truth the stuff isn't that difficult to keep updated once you know what's going on. The real problem is with documentation, it takes a while to learn what's going on because there's very little written down, and when people do learn it, they keep it to themselves because its not their job to do the upkeep. You could potentially save yourselves the work on pre-packaging solutions if the steps were just a little easier to understand, or written down at all. Or even if you recommended an application like HeidiSQL, instead of having people try to navigate the command-line of mysql when they really don't need it.

I don't know, I'm just blathering on at this point it feels like, but I just wanted to make sure that the advanced users don't get messed up with it as well. On a side note, I don't honestly think this application has really "supported" anything other than Cygwin, which isn't that hostile of a feature. It never really explained things to end users, so people just used whatever worked.

The virtual machine for VirtualBox will have just all requirements, but it won't have Atavism installed on it, so we won't have to make an update that VM each time we will make a release or patch.

Yes, cloud services would be even easier for such clients, but it also requires more time to set it up and prepare such working environment, so probably cloud services won't be available in incoming release but over time.

Regarding Cygwin and other installation options they were well documented, but user has to have basic system knowledge no matter if it's linux or windows, so if server is not running and throwing error that port is already in use then user should find a way which process in his particular (mostly windows cygwin) environment is causing it and most hobbyists don't have such knowledge so to prevent from that and other similar issues we want to provide solution for them.

11 hours ago, Smithor said:

On a side note, I don't honestly think this application has really "supported" anything other than Cygwin, which isn't that hostile of a feature. It never really explained things to end users, so people just used whatever worked.

It was always designed and supported for Linux, a lot of people just used Cygwin because Linux is scary or something and were requesting a way to run it under windows at home.

I always found it easier to run and support on a cloud vps or VM using Linux, the way it was designed to run. I am Windows Systems Engineer by trade and not a Linux admin by any means but the basics were not that hard to learn and there is plenty of information on the web, a quick google search will get you past most issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Atavism server part is based on Java and Python, but because python library is included in it, so you don't have to install it in your system, so it can be rn in both Linux and Windows environments (there were also .bat files which would basically run java servers), so why all are focusing Linux, why we don't want to support Cygwin? Becuase Atavism is for MMO production (focused on RPG), so sooner or later you will want to have server environment and first Linux is more stable, it's less expensive in terms of clouds if you compare Linux Ubuntu to Windows Server and requires less resources on server because (since Windows Server 2008 you can run it also without GUI, but for cloud services I think it's not supported).

Also, cygwin is a real headache not only for developers but also for support, because of ports in use and you will end up running Linux server under Linux like environment and command line interface for Windows, so basically Linux.

So instead of handling so many tickets about cygwin, why not use virtual machine, it's painless and you can do snapshots to restore it to point in time, you can run it in any environment, so if you will install new os, then just import previously exported machine and your database, atavism, logs, settings will work.

Fewer support tickets will give us more time for new features and we want to put more and more where among them is proper NavMesh.

Unity did the same, they killed boo language previously, now they are removing support for javascript, so you will have (you can say less and less, uninstall - fix), but from another side fewer languages means less documentation, less tickets, so all that manpower can be spent on creation not fixes.

Linux is simply learning, its much different to handle than Windows.

Its different, but much better and safety.

The Atavism Server handling on Linux is exactly the same, the only "scary" thing is to install Java on it as a newbie but you can find anything you need, just use google for it.

https://linode.com/docs/development/java/install-java-on-ubuntu-16-04/

https://askubuntu.com/questions/521145/how-to-install-oracle-java-on-ubuntu-14-04

For MySQL you can simply use XAMPP, graphical install, all easy.

Sometimes when you rent a dedicated server they only offer Ubuntu/Debian as Server Distribution, so you have to install a desktop environment and a remote desktop service separately.

• 4 months later...