How do you make large world?

DistantTemples

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, lets try to see bright side of of it. If someone thinks that other opinion wasn't helpful, then just don't use it, still he took some time to wrote it, try to find useful things from it and wait for another opinions and suggestions, lets try to not waste our common energy for arguing :) Lets try to spare it in a good and productive way. Positive thinking.

I'll gladly give more clues and suggestions regarding big world and even if Unity is not perfect to that, but through some extra tools like World Streamer, increasing performance and maintaining Big Unity World became way easier for us. Another great package which is going to hit Asset Store soon is Vegetation Studio, we are participating in beta and I have to admit that it's impressive package, You should check the results: https://forum.unity.com/threads/submitted-vegetation-studio.479244/page-11

Basically what it does it's placing foliage and rocks mostly, including great optimization and many features for example touch bending. It's working in similar way to unreal engine foliage system, so chunks chunks chunks are the future, including instancing and such.

For big worlds we are also recommending using some placement package, I think GENA by Adam Goodrich is really perfect for this, we used it and we will. It speeds up our development a lot. We placed not only rocks and such, but also targetable objects like Atavism resources on the map through it.

These are packages which we were using and we highly recommend them. Authors are very responsive, providing great support.

For those who are going to build big worlds, stay tuned, new quality and rapid development is on the way to Atavism :)

3 hours ago, Killersan said:

For big worlds we are also recommending using some placement package, I think GENA by Adam Goodrich is really perfect for this, we used it and we will.

I use all of Adams terrain tools. They offer great quality and can save a huge amount of time. I also like what he has done with GAIA. He has added some great asset integration automation. It can automatically configure other assets that you import with a click. He has a long list of them. 

He also added WORLD MANAGER API AND UNITY TIMELINE which can control environmental assets via one API. http://www.procedural-worlds.com/blog/wapi/  I would think it may be worth Atavism working with Adam to see what automation GAIA could offer. Environmental integration was always an issue with Atavism. Then again I would not be surprised if you guys have that covered too.

I have been beta testing GAIA 2.0 and it is coming along nicely. The one thing I wanted to mention because it has been talked about publicly is how it can create multiple terrain meshes at once really quickly.  It can fill up 10km X 10km with what ever equally sized terrain you want. There is much much more that is being implemented in the update.

@Killersan I think it could be very interesting if you were to chat with Adam about how GAIA could integrate with Atavism. Maybe it could end up helping network the environmental stuff? Maybe it could help with a DB terrain chunks system? 

8 minutes ago, DistantTemples said:

I use all of Adams terrain tools. They offer great quality and can save a huge amount of time. I also like what he has done with GAIA. He has added some great asset integration automation. It can automatically configure other assets that you import with a click. He has a long list of them. 

He also added WORLD MANAGER API AND UNITY TIMELINE which can control environmental assets via one API. http://www.procedural-worlds.com/blog/wapi/  I would think it may be worth Atavism working with Adam to see what automation GAIA could offer. Environmental integration was always an issue with Atavism. Then again I would not be surprised if you guys have that covered too.

I have been beta testing GAIA 2.0 and it is coming along nicely. The one thing I wanted to mention because it has been talked about publicly is how it can create multiple terrain meshes at once really quickly.  It can fill up 10km X 10km with what ever equally sized terrain you want. There is much much more that is being implemented in the update.

@Killersan I think it could be very interesting if you were to chat with Adam about how GAIA could integrate with Atavism. Maybe it could end up helping network the environmental stuff? Maybe it could help with a DB terrain chunks system? 

Shhhhh !!! nobody knows about it ;)

We are thinking about Atavism in wide perspective, so within few months from now You should be able to see how it changed the way of Your game production with it and our newly forged cooperations all is in the progress guys.

Killersan is right. Starting with own solution is not for beginners. If you want to do so, use RLE an transfer them over a stream. socket or websocket is a must. Use json or xml to separate chunks in chunks. Objects have to get Ansci IDs.

Don't use a restfull api! Not fast enough

On 11/7/2017 at 12:23 AM, Netsun said:

Sorry to be ''Rude'' But like a lot of people know in this forum my main language is not english, so sometime my sentence can look like rude.

I am being sincere when I say thank you for your apology and it is accepted. I understand you are learning to speak another language and I admire that because it is something I have chosen not to do in life. The reason I know of your issue is because I have been on this forum since it began back in 2013. I believe that is far longer then any one else that has responded to this topic. 

Please, if somebody points out to you that you are being sarcastic I would recommend that you stop and think about that instead of telling them to "OK first calm down" and assuming they were mad at you. That would probably be the time to simply say that you are sorry and ask if there was a better way to have said things differently.

That way you may learn how to avoid that kind of situation in the future. That is if you are truly looking to learn how to speak English which I believe you are. I think you will find that most people will take the time to help you with that. Well, I would like to think so anyway. Please message me if you would like to discuss this further.

Again, Thank You.

Edited by DistantTemples

17 hours ago, Cube said:

hi killersan, i would like in my gameto  rent small instance to user for create in his fantasy, what is the best way to do this?

Right now all characters data are stored in the objstore table in the blob files which is not good for backdating and can cause some troubles, but it's much easier to save new structure to it as it is whole class just saved into the blob file and reading is also simpler.

As I understand You correctly You want to allow users to build something in their instanced places (which they previously rented for some limited time). If so then probably the best option would be to save instance id along with whole objects which are in that instance into another blob in objstore for that user and read it when he is entering that instance. I know Andrew was going to implement something similar but right now I'm not sure on which stage that code was left. We didn't use it in our game, but we will dig into that for sure as besides of bugs we want to run all advertised features over time.

for my tests, i use Map Magic too, since first version and work fine. When 2.7 final release will be out, i ll share the link where it will be possible to test.

To prevent the monster from falling over he floor, there is an option inside MM ;)

++

Edited by UYLA

2 hours ago, Killersan said:

Right now all characters data are stored in the objstore table in the blob files which is not good for backdating and can cause some troubles, but it's much easier to save new structure to it as it is whole class just saved into the blob file and reading is also simpler.

As I understand You correctly You want to allow users to build something in their instanced places (which they previously rented for some limited time). If so then probably the best option would be to save instance id along with whole objects which are in that instance into another blob in objstore for that user and read it when he is entering that instance. I know Andrew was going to implement something similar but right now I'm not sure on which stage that code was left. We didn't use it in our game, but we will dig into that for sure as besides of bugs we want to run all advertised features over time.

hi killersan thanks for your answer

my project is not mmo game but i do a virtual world, yes i would like to rent people some instance, like, clubs, appartments, and and and.

people rent this and pay for example 50 gold every 30 days, and build own disco club and and...

reguards

Cube

Edited by Cube

5 hours ago, Cube said:

hi killersan thanks for your answer

my project is not mmo game but i do a virtual world, yes i would like to rent people some instance, like, clubs, appartments, and and and.

people rent this and pay for example 50 gold every 30 days, and build own disco club and and...

reguards

Cube

Secondlife :D

or you visit me on www.pianetasegreto.com  erotic virtual world 3d vip for 30 days normal 20 euro you recive from me free :-P

allready 200k registred user, is in italian language but in game you can switch in english :-9

Edited by Cube

I just seen that Unity has posted a list of their Black Friday Sale which will be 50% off starting on Nov 20th. Some of which have been mentioned to be integrated with Atavism. World Streamer is one of them. Maybe this is a good time to talk about others that may be on that list so folks can save some money?

Either way the list can be found here, it has a lot of great stuff on it for world building:

https://assetstore.unity.com/lists/black-friday-sale-63111

16 hours ago, DistantTemples said:

Before the Black Friday Sale is over?

Black Friday sale will last till Nov 26th.

Then it will start Mega Sale and will last till Dec 8th

so don't worry, right now list is still open.

9 hours ago, Dakora said:

So will we need to buy world streamer to use this with the update? because its on sale now!

Sorry my tail is wagging... lol

All integration will be flexible, so just setting one parameter and importing extra integration files will do the trick, but we won't enforce You to use any package, it will be always up to You and to Your preferences.

• 3 months later...

What is being used for large procedural and infinite game maps ? When I bought into the atavism it was my understanding that atavism would have its own way to handle this. But looking thru posts I see people talking about map magic, terrain composer, world streamer ?